Smart fats make the brain grow and work better. Smart fats include the omega-3 fatty acids that are found especially high in seafood, flaxseed oil, chia seeds, hemp seeds, dark leafy greens nuts like walnuts and other seeds. One of the best supplements you could give your kids is algae DHA. Fish get their omegas from the algae that they eat so the best and cleanest source is from the algae itself. There are many brands that sell Algael DHA in drops.
Did you know that the right healthy fats actually help the cells in your children’s brain communicate to each other correctly? But with the wrong or bad fats the brain can’t work properly or learn and retain everything. Other good omega-rich foods include coconut, avocado, organic goat dairy, eggs (especially the yolk) etc. With bad fats I am referring to hydrogenated oils, fried foods, and a diet too high in processed foods rich in refined oils.
Here are some fun brainy-fat meal/snack ideas…
- Avo pudding: Use avocado for a pudding base…I blend avocado with mangoes, bananas or peaches. It is delicious for everyone!
- Make nut/coconut balls: I just put in the food processor soaked almonds, dates, peanut butter, coconut oil, coconut sugar, coconut milk and cacao powder. Rolled them into the balls and put in the fridge to firm up. SOOO good and both boys can eat them.
- Make a raw nut pate for dipping
- Mix nut butters into their yogurt
- Steam an egg yolk for 4 minutes in boiling water and stir into yogurt, coconut pudding, etc. Can’t taste it and it adds a great creamy flavor.
- Put coconut oil on everything!
- Add ground chia seeds to their cereal, yogurt or a smoothie
- Make smoothies and add lots of good fatty foods to fruit and coconut water
- Use plain goat yogurt in sauces and soups to add the good fats (tastes like sour cream in recipes)
- Be creative!